Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is there any financial help available with the costs of coming to college?
    Yes. The Student Support Fund is a cash limited fund which is intended to support students from low income families with essential costs associated with attending college. This includes help with transport costs, books and equipment and trips within the UK. Costs are not covered in full.
  • Who can apply?
    As a guideline, families whose household income is below £25,000, but exceptional financial circumstances can be taken into consideration in some situations. (If your household income is between £25,000 and £28,000 you should still apply to the SSF as your application for any remaining funds may then be considered.)
  • How do students apply to the fund?
    Students should collect a cream Student Support Fund Form from Student Services at Enrolment and return it to Student Services as soon as possible. You will need to provide proof of household income as outlined on the form. (Please only supply photocopies - originals cannot be accepted or photocopied by Student Services.) If you forget at Enrolment – don’t worry. You can apply to the Fund at any time during the academic year.
  • How will I hear if I’ve been successful?
    A decision about your application will be made within 14 days and your will hear the result of your application and any action you need to take from Student Services on your college email.
  • Can I buy books and travel passes before I hear from the Fund?
    It makes sense to wait until you start at college to buy books. We will make a fixed award towards books according to your chosen subjects. You will be expected to buy from the college Second Hand Bookshop where possible. You do not need to buy every book specified for every subject you study; ask your teachers to advise, and see what is available in the library . You can however purchase your bus or rail pass in advance and a proportion of the cost will be refunded into the student’s bank account if your application is successful.
  • How will I get my money?
    Your money will be paid directly into your bank account by BACS transfer within several days of the award being made. Students have to have their own bank accounts before starting college as money cannot be paid into a parent or carers account.
  • I’ve heard there is a Bursary available to students in exceptional circumstances?
    Yes. The Vulnerable Student bursary is available to students who are:
    - A Looked After Child
    - A Care Leaver
    - In receipt of IS or Universal Credit in their own name (as a young parent, or living independently)
    - In receipt of DLA or PIP and ESA
    The Bursary guarantees students in these categories financial support of £1,200 a year, paid weekly and subject to attendance.
  • How do I apply for free college meals?
    Applications for free college meals should be made online at If eligible, you will have up to £2.41 per day to spend, which will be loaded as credit on your student ID card. This can then be used to pay for food in any catering outlet in College. Please see Student Services for more information.

Apply Online